travel

fairytale colmar

colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 1

Colmar was our final stop in Europe and again, I had only heard of this city a couple of weeks before we left and I was so glad I did. Colmar sits in the Alsace region of France and is really feels like one big fairytale town. When we were here, it was raining on and off all day so we didn’t end up getting to do little trips out to the surrounding towns on the famous Alsatian wine route but instead, spent our last few days in Europe wandering the streets and canals of Colmar.

The area has both a German and French due to the fact that it used to be part of one country then the other back in the day. The half timbered houses are painted in colourful hues and on a little boat tour down Little Venice (the area where the canals are in Colmar), the tour guide let us know that it used to be that houses were painted a certain colour to indicate certain things (like whether someone in the house was single or not). The brown building on the right side in the picture actually has its window decor painted and houses one of the most popular restaurants here.

Here’s a little more of colourful Colmar..

colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 2

Wearing: POLO Ralph Lauren yellow coat | Gorman striped dress & scarf | Bared Shoes

colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 3colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 4

Pretzels (or bretzels, as they call it here!) are sold everywhere here and cost just 1 euro.  colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 5colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 6colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 7colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 8colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 9

Even though it’s such a tourist activity, definitely take a boat ride down the Little Venice area. The water here is the stillest I’ve seen – the reflections you see on the water as you travel by boat are incredibly insane, like a completely clear mirror image. The ride is something like 6 euros for a 30 min boat tour.

colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 10colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 11

The houses and shops in Colmar are so intricately decorated, it’s so nice to see how much effort everyone seems to put in to these things. There’s flowers, pot plants, little statues sitting atop of windows and all everywhere. Some windows even have little love hearts etched into the doors.

colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 12colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 13

Your typical store front in Colmar – here they’re selling a huge variety of bretzels :-) Speaking of food, Fortwenger is a gingerbread shop you must visit! They sell this product called ‘fruit leckerlis’ which is the most amazing gingerbread I have ever tasted! It’s from the Alsatian region and is like a softer version of gingerbread decorated with flavours of apricot, orange peel and ginger – definitely get a packet for yourself and everyone else.

colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 14colmar france fairytale charming travel diary guide blog 15

Photography: Thomas Debono & I

• Pin this page52
  • 52

You Might Also Like...

11 Comments

Stephanie
    November 27, 2015 at 3:14 AM

So beautiful and I love your outfit. The bretzels looks so delicious! How it taste?

kisforkani
      December 2, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Thanks! They were great! I think they had a sprinkle of sugar on top, if I remember correctly and you can also pick them up with lots of other toppings like cheese or ham on top

Chrissie
    November 27, 2015 at 4:09 AM

It’s so colourful! I’ve never heard of this town before but I got to put it in my bucket list now.

kisforkani
      December 2, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Definitely a place worth visiting, it’s even more beautiful under the sun!

Vickie Simons
    December 21, 2015 at 10:18 PM

so gorgeous & charming, looks like such a lovely place :)

Wulan Armstrong
    January 7, 2016 at 1:58 PM

what is the camera that u used guys? si beautiful!!!

flowersncakes
    February 9, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Absolutely love the vibrant colors! Glad you had a wonderful time in Europe!

Christelle
    April 21, 2016 at 8:18 AM

I’m glad you had the opportunity to visit my beautiful Alsace! I hope you had a wonderful time there ;)

Selina Moses
    November 8, 2016 at 6:46 AM

It looks like a fairytale world. How happy would I feel if I were to live in such a beautiful house like one from there!

Angela
    May 22, 2017 at 2:04 AM

OMG what beautiful pics. If I wasnt scouting the net for Colmar itininaries and things to do.. and if this wasnt on my bucket list already for so many years now… I would have jumped on a plane right now.. seeing your photos. Good Lord.. yes.. I really really hope the trip happens soon. BTW did you go in Oct timeframe.. I just want a similar experience of these flowers and trees and beauty., and I can see that the trees are turning.. so I;m thinking it is around that timeframe. Please me know.. I dont want to go any other time.. and you are to blame :) :) :)
    You surely do take amazing pics, I remember I consulted your Cinque Terre post before going there last month and try as I did my pics are not as colorful as yours unless I turn on the saturation to ridiculous levels – even then … sigh .. one day I will turn on my camera to manual and hope for the best. Keep travelling and thanks for sharing. Book marked your Osaka .. food heaven post too. Will send it to my son…. maybe it will accelerate his interest as he loves Japanese food too..

Connie Cao
      May 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM

oh thanks! We went around early September if I remember currently. There were so many flowers there!
      Hope you get to visit some time soon. Colmar was really quite beautiful and it is not on everyone’s travel radar just yet, so it’s a great time to visit!