travel

Pack with me: Tropical holiday travel essentials

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 1

Hello, first adventure of 2016! My sister & I are at the boarding gate of Melbourne airport right now as we’re heading off to Singapore & Bali for a few weeks. You guys love having a peek into my suitcase before I leave so I thought I’d give you a run down of some of the things I’m taking on holiday with me. It will be the first time that I’ve travelled overseas with my sister & we’ve got a massive (slightly over-ambitious) schedule planned filled with shopping, eating & resort hopping + lots of content creation in between.

The first instalment was my Europe travel essentials post here.. and today, here are my travel essentials for a tropical resort holiday! Come have a read and look into some of the things I am bringing with me below:

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 2

1) Face sunscreen, body Sunscreen & Aeroguard

Always, always load up on sunscreen and SPF products when heading to somewhere tropical! The sun shines every day so it’s a good idea to pile it on. I also like to bring a separate tube of fragrance free face sunscreen too for added comfort as I find they soak in better and are more non-greasy than body sunscreens. For tropical countries, there is also the rare chance of coming into contact with dengue mosquitoes so a tropical strength / 30% deet repellant is also a good idea.

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 3

2) Travel sized everything

The first time I went travelling, I didn’t have any travel sized containers and would bring my full 200ml cleanser bottles, big tubes of moisturiser and that entire bottle of makeup remover. However, over the years, I’ve started to realise carrying so much of everything is both useless and also really starts to feel heavy when you hit your third or fourth transit. So I’ve started collecting travel sized bottles to put my skincare in and it has saved me so much suitcase space and weight (all the better for filling your luggage up local souvenirs I collect on the way). My favourite places to get travel sized bottles is Daiso. That cute $2.80 everything shop you’ve seen popping up over the last couple of years has a massive selection of empty plastic bottles ranging from super small (great for earrings, eye creams etc) to larger 200ml bottles that are good for body wash and all. Super, super useful & from the pic above, you can see how I have managed to turn five massive containers into five tiny ones that will last me my entire trip and more. For perfume, you can refill into small sample bottles or little fragrance atomisers. Don’t carry your entire beauty drawer with you. Except for dry shampoo. Bring a lot of that.

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 4

3) Books, movies and music

If you’re staying in a pretty resort, chances are you’re not going to leave it. Fill those poolside lazy afternoons accompanied by some of your latest reads, some iPad movies and music! We’re bringing some modern philosophy books we picked up from The School of Life stall at the Big Design Market. Can’t wait to dig into these.

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 5

4) Versatile set of sandals

Shoes are the heaviest things you’ll bring wardrobe wise so if you want to travel light(er), then the best thing you can do is to pack less in the footwear department. Try for a set of shoes that will work with a variety of outfits and concentrate on neutral colours such as white, black and tan. A pop of colour can be useful and fun too if it will work with a few different outfits! Lastly, don’t forget those poolside slides.

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 6

5) Swimwear you LOVE + a waterproof phone case

It’s likely you’ll be in the water a fair amount of time so bring some swimwear you love. Bright colours are a great idea for summer holiday vibes. Also, a waterproof phone case is a great idea too especially if you want to carry your phone around the pool (or beach) but don’t want to get it wet. I’ve been using a Lifeproof one and have taken it into the ocean snorkelling as well as in the pool. No troubles so far. Optional extra: your own beach towel for relaxing in style. Completely optional though, as resorts often have endless supplies of towels anyway!

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 7

6) Resortwear

There’s no better time to wear resort wear than when you’re actually at a resort! There are so many beautiful collections to choose from this year but some of the things that have made it into my suitcase (aka my resort wear favourites) are..

• Off the shoulder everything. These are the epitome of easy breezy beach holiday wear. Can’t wait to share more of these with you soon :-)
  • Mister Zimi prints – found myself a little Zimi to take overseas with me, I’m sure you can spot their signature colourful print above
  • A floppy hat – keeping sun-smart in style. Can’t wait to show you the one I picked up at Country Road just before Christmas last year!
  • A pleated beach dress – I love a good pleat and have managed to fill my suitcase up with quite a few of these.
  • Anything light and floaty and semi sheer to keep you cool in the humidity!

tropical resort holiday travel essentials what to bring to bali singapore 8

7) Travel wallet

In my last travel essentials post I was using a pretend travel wallet (which was great too) but this time around, I have finally found two I love! One’s from Kikki-K and is a zip around with tabs for itinerary, passport and tickets. The other is from The Daily Edited and is super sleek, monogrammed and has a pull out passport holder!

Come follow me on Instagram, I’ll be posting on-the-go travel updates every day & following them up with big blog posts over here as well soon. Speak soon!

• Pin this page25
  • 25

You Might Also Like...

18 Comments

Angelina
    January 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM

I love all the color you have in your closet! Somehow it all works so well together too. That watermelon print swimsuit is the cutest!

Angelina Is | Bloglovin’

kisforkani
      January 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Haha thanks! It’s my favourite swimsuit :-)

Sunmi Louise
    January 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Can’t wait to see photos! It’s so cold here and I’m wishing to fit into your suitcase so I can come along. ;)

kisforkani
      January 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Thanks for your comment!

Carina
    January 10, 2016 at 5:36 PM

These pictures are beautiful connie! I love the dais travel sized bottles! Have a fab time in singapore and bali!! :) Cant wait to see where you’ll end up visiting!

x Carina / Running White Horses

kisforkani
      January 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Thanks! Trying to pack it all in :-) Will update soon

Lydia Teo
    January 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM

A few places you guys might be interested in for Singapore:

1. Marina Bay Sands area – perfect for outfit photos against the skyline of Singapore skyscrapers and of course, great for (higher-end) shopping too

2. Orchard Road – a must-go for shopping

3. Haji Lane – a more ‘hispter-ish’, colourful area with little boutiques and cafes

4. Museums: National Gallery, National Museum of Singapore and Singapore Art Museum are great spots for OOTD photos because of the gorgeous architecture

5. Clarke Quay – the best place to see the Singapore River. It also comes alive at night, with many bars and restaurants etc

6. Sentosa – if you want to go to the beach

I think those are my top recommendations off the top of my head, can’t wait to see where you guys go :)

kisforkani
      January 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Thanks Lydia,

Will have a look into these!! Trying to all pack it into a few days, 1/2/3/4 are definitely on our list and 5/6 hopefully we will have time for too!

Gemma
    January 10, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Can I ask where you got your pot-plant pot from? It’s so beautiful! :)

kisforkani
      January 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Hey Gemma, sorry I’m not sure! It was a gift to our family many years ago. Pretty cool though huh!

aprileveryday
    January 11, 2016 at 6:19 AM

I absolutely love your suitcase! I’ve seen a few of those that split in two halves, rather than just piling everything on the one side. I absolutely love travel minis to decant everything in to! I used to take my 1lt bottles of shampoo and conditioner with me then be so anxious when my suitcase got weighed and was at the limit each time that I decided it was time to invest in some hah! Best decision ever!

I can’t wait to see your adventures – I LOVED singapore, though we went back in 2007 so a lot has changed since then! I can’t wait to vicariously live through your travels hah! I’d definitely recommend Clarke Quay and Sentosa Island though!

xo April | April Everyday

kisforkani
      January 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Thanks April! Yep I’ve been finding these hard case suitcases that open up flat to be super helpful for organising everything and locating it all! Can’t wait to share with you our travel finds, hoping to make time for Clarke Quay and Sentosa too :)

cloud forest - K is for Kani
    January 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM

[…] you enter – a kind of cool manmade feature. This off the shoulder dress from MLM label which you saw a peek of here has been an absolute suitcase favourite of mine so far & was the perfect companion for […]

Louisa
    January 20, 2016 at 1:08 AM

I love your suitcase – is it the 79cm or the 68cm version? I’m considering nabbing one for my upcoming travels!

kisforkani
      January 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Hey Louisa, I have both the 79cm and 68cm of this mint green case and love them both! For my trip to Singapore and Bali which was just over 2 weeks and only summer clothing, I took the 68cm and found it was more than enough. I still had plenty of room for shopping. For my trip to Europe (which was just under two months and also mainly summer clothing), I took my 79cm one and found that was also perfect with space. Hope that helps your decision!

Louisa
        January 28, 2016 at 4:12 AM

Thank you – that’s super useful!

kisforkani
          February 11, 2016 at 2:37 PM

You are welcome :) :) Always hard to tell until you bring it on holidays!

Geraldine
    July 10, 2016 at 1:39 PM

I love your posts! They make me want to overhaul my wardrobe and decor and go looking for colourful and fun patterns to brighten up everything. I was also wondering where you got your toiletry bag? It’s so cute!