beauty

Taiwan skincare & beauty haul

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-12

The great Taiwan skincare and beauty haul part #2 is here!

There are so many drugstores and beauty stores in Taiwan (or at least near where I stayed) that I just couldn’t help myself but take a peek. Next to me was a 24 hr Watsons, Cosmed, Innisfree and many other stores. Watsons is kind of like Priceline in Asia, Cosmed is a Taiwanese drug store chain selling way too many brands of face masks (haha) and then there are standalone stores like Innisfree (which I lived next to) and also Too Cool for School, Sasa, 86 Shop, Skinfood, Japan Medical, Nature Republic etc (the latter few I sadly did not make it to, though I really didn’t need anymore things to buy anyway). Most of the brands stocked were from Taiwan, Korea and Japan.

Anyway, living in Taiwan was when I discovered this crazy new world of the Korean ’10 step’ skincare routine. I researched so much before purchasing the below items and though I have only started trying these products, I purchased them for their rave reviews and thought I’d share these with you too as a quick guide to some must-buy products (mostly Korean skincare brands) found in Taiwan. I hope you find these helpful if you are ever shopping in Taiwan!

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-19

1) MISSHA TIME REVOLUTION FIRST TREATMENT ESSENCE

It was only recently that I finally understood where the elusive ‘essence’ product fits in one’s skincare routine. It goes after toning but before serum and is similar to a serum but a little more watery in consistency. The Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence is a dupe of the SK-II Miracle Treatment Essence and even though I could not understand why another step needed to be added to a skincare routine, I could not get over just how many ‘this is a miracle!’ ‘I cannot believe this product!’ reviews I was reading. It happened to be on sale in Watsons too so I picked one up for 699NTD(30AUD). Normally they’re about 50AUD I believe! As it is a watery consistency so there can be a bit of wastage when using this product, I’ve read tips to transfer it into a spray bottle and spray directly onto the face. Such a good beauty hack!

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-5 Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-13
Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-15
Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-16

2) MY BEAUTY DIARY FACE SHEET MASKS

I wrote a bit about the Innisfree sheet masks in my previous post so I’ll talk about the My Beauty Diary ones here. As mentioned before, sheet masks are really popular in Asia and if you head to Cosmed, there are walls upon walls dedicated to sheet masks. I decided to try out the My Beauty Diary ones – they’re the top-selling Taiwanese sheet mask brand. There are so many different types to choose from within the brand so I had to ask for help from the shop assistant. I also found the below table really helpful (though not every type is listed). My choices ended up being the Aloe Vera (for hydrating), Arbutus Brightening*, Collagen firming & Strawberry Yoghurt (for oil control) masks. There were so many more I wanted to try but it just wasn’t necessary to bring home a truckload of sheet masks. These sheet mask packs (they come in a pack of 10) were on sale at Cosmed so I paid about 200NTD per pack (8.70AUD).

Oh and by the way, if you are looking for Cosmed, its Chinese store name translation ‘康是美’ is often on a bigger sign than its English name. I kept overlooking the ‘康是美’ sign around the corner until I realised it was actually Cosmed, the one I was looking for.

*I’ve since tested this product and have realised that by brightening, they meant whitening. Not quite what I was looking for – I thought it was a ‘radiant complexion’ kind of mask!

My Beauty Diary Face Sheet Mask Chart
Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-25
Innisfree Haul 2016 Taiwan skincare beauty makeup korean shopping 6b

3) LIP TINT & LIP CRAYONS

Again, I wrote about the Innisfree ones pictured in my other post here so I’ll just talk about this cute Too Cool For School Dinoplatz Lost Identity Lip Crayon in the shade ‘Lost in Dinoplatz’. If you look closely, this pretty little thing is actually mint green in colour! How fun is that? When you apply it, the product mixes with the warmth of your skin and turns into a customised shade of lavender pink. It was just so unique I couldn’t not pick it up. I love the crayon design of it too which makes it really easy to apply – much like my beloved Clinique Chubby Stick. The Too Cool for School lip crayon is 580NTD/25AUD.

Innisfree Haul 2016 Taiwan skincare beauty makeup korean shopping-6

4) INNISFREE EVERYTHING

I put all of these products in a separate post, you can see my Innisfree skincare & beauty haul from Taiwan here.

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-17
Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-18
Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-8

5) MOUSSE MASKS

We’re back on Mousse masks again! I actually picked up the Too Cool For School Egg Mousse Mask before the Innisfree Super Volcanic Clay Mousse Mask and it was the Egg Mousse Mask that got me into this first. A Mousse Mask is something I’ve never seen before and almost seems like a novelty product but it’s a bestseller in Too Cool For School and I just love how it works. You only need apply it to your face for 3-5 minutes before most of the mask essence actually soaks into your skin / disappears. The Egg Mousse Mask was 580NTD/25AUD.

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-22

6) BANILA CO Clean it Zero – Classic

I read so many people rave about this product as part of the Korean 2 step cleanse that I thought I must try this one out too. I currently use Bioderma Sebium H20 Micellar Water to remove my makeup (completely love it, much better than regular makeup remover) so am a little reluctant to replace it with this after. But the Banila Co Clean it Zero is an oil based cleanser that’s a raved-about skincare essential so let’s see how this goes. This super-sized tub (there is also a regular sized version available) retails for 990NTD/43AUD in Taiwan.

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-6

7) NEOGEN BIO-PEEL GAUZE PEELING WINE

This product is raved about on SOKOGLAM (a site that has fast become my skincare bible in terms of finding reviews for Korean products) so I had to give these a go! Oh and Charlotte Cho, if you ever read this, you basically got me into Korean skincare! Anyway, the NEOGEN Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling Wine is a manual exfoliating product and smells delicious. I would know because it accidentally spilled all over my coat on the flight back home..ha! It reminds me a lot of the Arcona Cranberry Gommage scent which if anyone has smelt it, is ridiculously pleasant. Anyway, the NEOGEN product retails for 799NTD/35AUD at Cosmed.

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-23

8) KONJAC SPONGES

A new innovation that’s been taking Asian skincare by storm is the konjac sponge. I think I first came across this whilst browsing Innisfree online but they didn’t stock it in the Taipei store so then I found some in Cosmed and decided to try them out. The whole idea of using a sponge to cleanse your face is really quite different as I’ve always used my hands. It’s kind of like a manual Clarisonic and is made out of konnyaku potato which is also a traditional Japanese health food. When you buy it they’re rock solid but when you soak them in water for 3-5 minutes (I do this when I am brushing my teeth) they begin to soften up heaps. They remind me of the sea sponges you use when showering, but softer. They were 100NTD/4.30AUD from Cosmed. Find some online here.

Taiwan skincare beauty makeup haul 2016-21

9) LIQUID EYELINERS

I also bought two liquid eyeliners from Watsons as my Stila Stay All Day waterproof liquid liner ran out. I’m super picky about eyeliners as I have extremely oily eyelids so nothing much stays put all day (kept Stila, it really lives up to its name). The Kiss Me Ferme eyeliner works pretty well in terms of staying power but I found the black colour wasn’t as dark as my Stila one. I’ve yet to try the K-Palette 1 Day Tattoo but realised just now that I’ve bought it in ‘natural black’ so it will probably be a lighter shade of black as well. I think after this I’ll go back to my Stila. I unfortunately couldn’t find it in Taipei or I would have repurchased it!

10) THINGS I WANTED TO TRY BUT DID NOT

There were so many things I didn’t need but wished I did because there were so many things in the land of Asian skincare and beauty that are much raved about. Those things are:

• Cushions: They’re like a multi-function BB/CC/Foundation/Sunscreen thing that’s liquid but packaged like pressed powder. The product is soaked in a cushion and there is a separate cushion puff which you press down to release the product. Hard to explain, but they’re very popular in Asia.
  • Snail cream: Also very popular in Asia are snail products. In particular, the brand Mizon kept popping up in my research
  • Dr Wu’s skincare line: Dr Wu is a Taiwanese brand that reminds me a lot of La Roche Posay which I’m a big fan of. I figured I really didn’t need anymore skincare so skipped out on trying it out, but yes, it’s popular in Taiwan!
  • MISSHA Time Revolution Night Repair: It’s as popular as the MISSHA essence but I think my haul was already getting out of hand & I really didn’t need another night cream right now.

Okay, that’s it! And I’ve officially also got a 10 step skincare routine to try out. I think the biggest challenge for me now is to figure out how to import these into Australia if I ever feel the need to repurchase them all again!

Do you have any Asian beauty favourites or experiences with Asian beauty products? Do share them below, I’d be keen to hear :)

Read my Innisfree skincare & beauty haul here.

Photography: myself w/ Canon EOS 7D Mark II

• Pin this page23
  • 23

You Might Also Like...

22 Comments

Rachel
    March 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM

This was such an interesting read. I’m fascinated by the 10 step skincare talk in the beauty world lately!

Rachel | http://www.currentlyrachel.com

kisforkani
      March 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Haha as am I! I have always heard about it floating around in the air but never really considered it. I’m slowly making my way into it and am surprised my generally on-the-oily-side skin is not going crazy after so many steps. Shall report back !

Cherie
    March 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Jealous of your haul! I pretty much did the same thing I went to Seoul late last year, too… my boyfriend kept teasing me about the amount of sheetmasks I brought back and how it would last me three months and more if I used one every day, hahahah! Personally I haven’t tried Missha Time Revolution despite the rave, but I do use another Missha (Bio Essence?) toner and it’s pretty moisturising. Maybe I’ll try about the TR soon but we’ll see… And loved seeing your previous Innisfree + related products here bc I am literally their *biggest* fan, I kid you not. Now I really want to try the lip tints as they’re supposed to really good too.

ah, too bad you didn’t get any cushion foundations! (but hey you’ve only got one face and infinity of products haha) The Innisfree (the obsession is truly real) water glow is supposed to be good, but my favourite is the Sulwhasoo one! With the snail-based products, I got given samples of it and they’re not too shabby either… but korean skincare/makeup really opens up your eyes to a whole new world eh?

Ok final bit I promise: but I really do think the 10-step routine is pretty effective, considering I personally already have very dry/sensitive skin so I use very specific products to target areas so a lot of the essences and serums work well for me :) and yes to the konjac sponge, so much cheaper in Asia bc it retails from 10 pounds onwards in the UK (omg)…

THIS WAS A LONG COMMENT #notsorry have a great week, Connie xx

Cherie / sinonym

kisforkani
      March 31, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Ha! Hi Cherie – Love a long comment. I don’t know what I would do if I went to Korea, there would be too much choice I think I’d be so overwhelmed I might actually not leave with anything! I don’t want to count how many sheet masks I brought back or reveal how much excess luggage I had but it’s all justified because I often share with my sister, right? Though I’ve heard crazy stories from my aunty in Taipei who says that some people come to Taiwan and buy large shipping boxes full of sheet masks. Glad mine all fit in one bag!

I actually tried to find the Missha toner (a different one, actually) but couldn’t find it in Taipei, but I’ve heard great things about it. Will report back on the essence soon, it’s the only essence product I’ve ever tried so am not really sure what to expect. People claim miracles so let’s see in a few months.

Hi5 for Innisfree! I loved how close I lived to the shop, though it started to get embarrassing when the same shop assistant kept working there and recognising me come in again and again. The lip tints are SUPER. I’m in love with them and the shade I wasn’t sure about (#10) because of it being too nude actually turned out to be my all time favourite. If you have similar lip tones to me, you should try it out.

I’m going to note your recs on a cushion foundation, it’s next on the list when yes, my current face products run out. I don’t want to hoard them just yet haha. And hi 5 for 10 step skincare! I thought it’d take 1 hour a night but so far, I’ve incorporated about 8 steps in and it only takes maybe 5 minutes more. I actually have combination skin so am worried all of this product is going to make my skin super oily but actually it’s been so far so good. Glad to have a chat about this all, it was fun! :D

Sasa Zoe
    March 30, 2016 at 11:47 PM

I always love face masks in Asia. I miss Taiwan:P

Shall We Sasa

kisforkani
      March 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Haha I don’t think I need to buy anymore for at least half a year. #mustnotwaste #mustusedaily haha

La Bijoux Bella
    March 31, 2016 at 1:11 AM

Everything looked so enticing … I adore the Asian skincare products very much. It’s been long known for it’s perfection on skin treatment. Simply fabulous! :)

La Bijoux Bella | by mia

kisforkani
      March 31, 2016 at 11:38 AM

The Asian skincare industry has always been pretty good at its game right? I’ve just never been to a cosmopolitan Asian city until now to pick these all up! I kind of hope I don’t return to one soon or I just might end up with too much product for just one face.

Andrea Mainardi
    May 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM

love your blog!

kisforkani
      May 12, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Thanks Andrea :)

Jeri Lee
    May 14, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Omg I am so glad I came across your blog! It is the best! I need your help! I currently living in Taiwan! I have super oily skin and summer is right around the corner! Do you have any recommendations? I use the blotting paper but they don’t seem to help! The only thing thAt help is to wash my face but I have school during the day so that isn’t an option for me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Also something that isn’t super expensive as I am not currently working right now and am on a budget! ). Thank you so much thank you for your time

kisforkani
      May 18, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Hey Jeri :) I don’t live in Taiwan (I am from Melbourne, Australia) but have oily/combination skin. I don’t use blotting paper as I feel like my face just oils right up again, especially in summer. But I find that not touching my face during the day helps a lot, as well as moisturising. I used to not want to moisturise as I felt like it made my face more oily, but then I read an article once that said that if your skin is dry from lack of moisture, then it would produce more oil to compensate! Also, a pressed powder too :) I heard the one from Innisfree is amazing so picked one up when I was in Taiwan. It’s a dupe of the Make Up Forever pressed powder (which I currently have) so I can’t wait to start using the Innisfree one when it runs out. Do give that a try too! :)

I’ve linked that one here: http://www.kisforkani.com/2016/03/innisfree-haul-taiwan-2016/

XX

Jeri Lee
        May 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Thanks to the tips! I will definitely give it a try! You are super sweet!

Innisfree haul - K is for Kani
    June 1, 2016 at 2:37 PM

[…] Read my Taiwan skincare & beauty haul here. […]

Tracy
    June 7, 2016 at 5:09 AM

Hi there..im going taiwan soon and im definately buying some of the above items! I have few questions. What is the brand of the konjac sponge that you bought? The price is 100 ntd for one sponge? Have you tried on the mousse mask? Which is better? Egg mousse or volcanic clay? Thanks!

kisforkani
      June 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Hey Tracey! The price was 100ntd for one sponge, I don’t know the brand but I found it in Cosmed. The Egg mousse and volcanic masks are quite different, one is more moisturising (the egg mousse) & feels so soothing and hydrating on and the clay mask is really cooling and refreshing and targets oily skin! Enjoy Taiwan X

Jennifer
    July 25, 2016 at 4:30 AM

Oh my goodness this is like MAJOR heart-eyes material! Those Neogen wine things are some of my very favourite skincare. Partially because the scent reminds me of Korean grape sweets I used to have as a child.. And even though I’ve tried soooo many masks now, I still really love the Innisfree ones! They don’t have some of the nasty ingredients you find in other inexpensive masks.

The stila liner is my all time fave too! I need to try the one you picked up. If you’re looking for another cleansing balm (seeing as my comment is now ridiculously long after you posted this post!), a new Kbeauty brand Heimish have a great one that I’ve been loving lately :)

Your photos are beautiful, and if you ever need to ask about Kbeauty/skincare (I’m Korean :) then don’t hesitate to message!

xx

Jess
      November 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM

I love your blog (and gorgeous photos) Connie. Jennifer – I thought I just let you and K is for Kani’s other readers that having become a bit of an Asian Beauty – and especially sheet mask – obsessive after my first trip to Korea a couple of years ago, I (quite literally) just opened a new shop here in Australia for K-Beauty. I am focused mostly on Sheet Masks at the moment (including Innisfree) as I got so frustrated paying so much $$ for shipping from Korea!! Eventually I hope to branch out to include more K-Beauty products and Taiwanese mask (which I agree are fabulous!). Would you believe that one of the first non-sheet mask products I insisted on stocking was the new Heimisch Cleansing Balm? OMG I love it so much :)

I’ve really tried to keep the prices as reasonable as possible – and would love to welcome you all to my shop!

Jess x

Jenny S.
    March 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Hi,
    I love Korean face masks and BB creams especially the ones from TONYMOLY. I’m still switching from products to products trying to find the best moisturizer for my skin type. I have a mixed dry and oily type of skin. I’ve had products that worked their magic on my face but after a time using it, it begins to give me less and less satisfaction. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for sharing!

Connie Cao
      March 31, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Hi Jenny, lately I have been using Kiehl’s ultra facial cream and I love it :) I also had a sample of the Kiehl’s deep moisture clarifying cream as well which I really loved too. Also, Clinique’s dramatically different moisturising gel I find is really nice on combination skin. It’s oil free and I love my moisturisers like that :) Korean brands wise, I don’t think I have tried any mosturisers yet as I still had quite a stash of other brands at home so didn’t buy any :)

Jenny S.
        April 1, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Hi Connie,
        Thank you for replying! I just ordered Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel via Sephora online, and I am very excited. It’s not expensive, and the reviews are great. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll update you soon. :)

Connie Cao
          April 2, 2017 at 7:03 PM

No problems! Hope you love it. The price is pretty reasonable for Clinique :)